A Blind War (11/13/15), op. 16
A Blind War (11/13/15) is a piece especially composed for the 13th international conducting summer academy of Jean-Sébastien Béreau, in Leiria, Portugal.
This symphonic poem was composed in response to the terrorist attacks that occurred in Paris and Saint-Denis on November 13th, 2015. The piece doesn’t seek to describe these attacks but is a reflection on the view that failing to address a problem at its source can lead to devastating consequences. A Blind War is in four parts. The piece begins with six shots (snare drum and bass drum) that symbolize the six places where there was an attack on November 13th, 2015. After a huge shout of terror, the second part follows. This section introduces a motive, in the celli and basses, which represents evil. This motive is in the background but its presence grows and spreads throughout the work. While this tension is building, a musical representation of sunlight reminds us what we have built, and what we can lose, in a molto espressivo theme. The allegro section represents the fight. All musical material for this section is derived from the first motive. This fight eventually comes to an end: the molto espressivo theme emerges as if from nowhere, in the midst of this battle. The power of destruction, of this blind war, invades the music until what has been built disappears completely.
A Blind War (11/13/15) has been selected by the legal Ablaze Records to be featured on their CD "Orchestral Masters vol. 5" (2018).
- Title: A Blind War - symphonic poem n°5, op. 16 (original title: Une guerre aveugle (13/11/15) - poème symphonique n°5, op. 16)
- Year of composition: 2016
- Duration: 15 minutes 30 seconds
- Instrumentation: 2 Flutes (including Piccolo), 2 Oboes, 2 Clarinets in B (Clarinets in A), 2 Bassoons (including Contrabassoon), 4 Horns in F, 2 Trumpets in B, 3 Trombones, Timpani, 3 Percussions, Violin I, Violin II, Viola, Cello, Doublebass
- Creation: 29th July 2016 (Escola de Formaçao Social Rural de Leiria, Marrazes, Portugal - by: orchestra of the 13th international conducting summer academy of Leiria, conducting: Natanaël Iselin-Milhiet) / 30th July 2016 (Museu de Leiria, Leiria, Portugal - by: orchestra of the 13th international conducting summer academy of Leiria, conducting: Helder Abreu) / 31st July 2016 (Capelas Imperfeitas do Mosteiro de Santa Maria da Vitoria, Batalha, Portugal - by: orchestra of the 13th international conducting summer academy of Leiria, conducting: Romain Corbisier)
- Commission: by Jean-Sébastien Béreau
Recording by the Brno Philharmonic Orchestra, conducting: Mikel Toms (Besedni Dum, Brno, Czech Republic, Label: Ablaze Records - 2018)
Daniel AELVOET, Alexandra ALLARD, Foteini ANGELI, Alain BEAUCHAMPS, Martine BEAUCHAMPS, Thérèse BEAUCHAMPS, Claude CHANALET, Béatrice CORBISIER, Cyrielle CORBISIER, Faustine CORBISIER, Stéphane CORBISIER, Jeanne COUSIN, Jean-Claude DASSONVILLE, Micheline DASSONVILLE, Marion DELEHAYE, Clémence DELELIS, Jean-Pierre DELGRANGE, Josée DELGRANGE, Céline FAUVILLE, Eric FRANCOIS, Pauline GENISSEL, Elisabeth KREUTZ, Michael KREUTZ, Sophie LASCOMBES-MAYRAND, Fanny LAVIGNE, Françoise LEGRAND, Isabelle REMY, Joëlle REMY, Norbert REMY, Marie VALDELIEVRE.
These people contributed generously to the production of the recording of A Blind War (11/13/15), op. 16 by the label ABLAZE RECORDS.
Ensemble ACCORDEUS supported the recording and commissioned Romain Corbisier for a new work.
To get the score of A Blind War (11/13/15), op. 16, please send an e-mail at email@example.com with one or more of the following references:
- Ref. ERC16s (full score - pdf) - 15€
- Ref. ERC16sR (full score - bound) - 41€
- Ref. ERC16po (orchestral parts- pdf) - 50€
- Ref. ERC16poR (orchestral parts - bound) - 723€
Note: in the case of bound scores, shipping charges will be added.